Not only do we have a carbon footprint but also a plastic footprint which measures how much plastic do we use during a period of time.
Of course it is almost impossible to entirely cut the use of plastic out of your life but there are several ways to reduce it.
1. Stop using single-use plastic water bottles. Normally the tap water is just as safe as the water you buy in the supermarket. You can buy and use a reusable bottle instead.
2. Whenever possible, buy food in bulk. It helps to reduce the total amount of packaging.
3. Buy your music and movies electronically. This way you avoid the need to create plastic compact discs, plastic jewel cases, and other wrappings.
4. Stop using plastic grocery bags. Each year over one trillion plastic bags are used worldwide. They are easily carried by the wind out into the ocean, fields, woods. Use reusable bags.
5. Don’t buy pre-packaged single serving portions. They are among the worst when it comes to excess packaging. Switch to reusable containers, they are far less harmful to the planet.
6. Buy a reusable travel mug for your tea and coffee.
7. Always look for alternative packaging. Many items come in aluminum or cardboard packaging that can be more easily recycled than plastic.
8. Buy and sell secondhand. Clothing, toys, furniture, household supplies, sporting goods and many other items can often be found through secondhand sources, thereby reducing the amount of new plastic entering the waste stream and reducing the overall ecological footprint.
9. Recycle! When you must use plastic, please make sure to recycle it.
10. Summing up, don’t forget to Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!